I come across and treat the following shoulder problems-
1) Osteoarthritis is the commonest form of shoulder arthritis. It is due to wear of the cartilage lining. Exposure of bare bone causes pain. Pain can be extremely debilitating, partilcularly at night. Patients over over fifty are commonly affected. An injury can precipitate it. There is often a familial predisposition.
Rheumatoid arthritis is the other common form of arthritis.
2) Sports injuries-Shoulder injuries cut short the career of many sportsmen. Sportsmen in games like cricket, javelin throw, volleyball, basketball, baseball, rugby, football suffer shoulder injuries due to throwing or accidents. The commonest direction of shoulder dislocation is to the front. It is known as recurrent shoulder dislocation.
3) Rotator cuff injuries are the leading cause of shoulder pain after middle age.
4) People who use their arm for throwing can develop internal impingement and SLAP lesions.
5) Shoulder stiffness is a common complaint among diabetics, post injury or surgery. It is known as frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis. Exercises are advised initially.
6) Elderly people sustain fractures of the upper humerus.
1) Shoulder replacements- When arthritis pain becomes debilitating, shoulder replacement and resurfacing are permanent treatments. Shoulder resurfacing is a bone preserving alternative to replacement. I was the first surgeon to do Shoulder resurfacing in Chennai. See here. A reverse shoulder replacement is a very useful procedure in cases of bone and soft tissue loss. I am one of the few surgeons to have done this procedure in India. I got trained in these advanced procedures in the UK and Belgium.
2) Arthroscopic stabilization for instability- I perform arthroscopic & open Bankart repair for recurrent shoulder dislocation.
3) Rotator cuff repair- Arthroscopic assisted mini open repair is effective in relieving pain. I also offer stem cell treatment to repair partial and complete tears.
4) Stem cell treatmentof partial and complete rotator cuff tears and other shoulder conditions.
5) Arthroscopic repair for SLAP lesions.
6) Resistant cases of frozen shoulder are advised arthroscopic release or manipulation under anesthesia (MUA). Arthroscopic release is performed for those cases which don’t yield to the above measures.
7) In severe fractures, replacement of the upper humerus (hemi-arthroplasty) is the best treatment.
Reverse shoulder replacement is done for shoulder arthritis resulting from massive rotator cuff tears. It is also indicated in severe 3 and 4 part proximal humeral fractures with comminution and bone loss. It reverses the position of the ball and socket in the shoulder. It requires high level of experience to perform this procedure. See this news report.
Download Clinic brochure free
Key hole Bankart repair
Frozen shoulder release
Shoulder resurfacing implant